About Habitat for Humanity
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliated organizations (HFH) will not proselytize. Nor will HFH work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFH. This means that HFH will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must (i) adhere to or convert to a particular faith or (ii) listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
Our Local Chapter
Habitat for Humanity of Northwest Indiana was formed in July 1986. As of January 1, 2013, there are over 57 Habitat homes located in Lake County, Indiana. Building on donated land, with donated funds and constructed with volunteer labor, our mission is to provide affordable housing opportunities to those in need.
The ReStore opened in March 2005 at 6114 W. Ridge Road in Gary and will help to make the above and future building projects possible. There are currently Habitat ReStores throughout the United States. A Habitat ReStore is a retail outlet recycling overstocked, discontinued, new and used building materials, appliances and gently used home furnishings donated by manufacturers, store contractors and individuals. These donated items are sold at a fraction of normal prices to the public. All revenue from sales goes to the local affiliate in support of its building program.
Board of Directors
- PRESIDENT – Chris Bengtson
- VICE PRESIDENT – Theresa Mudd
- TREASURER – Lee Anderson
- SECRETARY – Dave Baker
- Robert Johnson
- Rosanna Fowler
- Mary Morstadt
- Shirley Williams
- Linda Cobb
- Carol Swisher
- Dan Rohaley
- Laura Rice
- Jackie Stewart
- Ann Wolter
- Dana Carter
- Keith Bruxvoort
- Joseph Wszolek
- Dawn Michaels, Executive Director
- Amy Blaker, Director of Development and Community Relations
- Penny Triezenberg, Family Services Coordinator
- Kris Wilkens – Accounting
- Dan Walsh, ReStore Manager – Griffith
- Damian Thomas – ReStore Manager – Merrillville
- Dan Walsh, Receiving Manager, ReStore – Griffith
- Kim DeRisi, ReStore District Manager
- Jim Babusiak, ReStore Procurement Director
- Mike Poe, Construction Manager
- Kimberly May – Volunteer Coordinator