Habitat for Humanity of Northwest Indiana offers low-income families the opportunity to own a home. Becoming a Habitat homeowner requires commitment, responsibility and deep involvement.
In order to partner with us, you must meet the following preliminary criteria:
- You must be a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States.
- You must have lived or worked in Lake County for at least 12 months.
- Your yearly income must fall within our income guidelines, which are adjusted for family size (refer to the Income Table on the Selection Criteria page). Income includes wages, Social Security, disability, SSI, TANF and child support.
- You must have one year of continuous income.
- You must have a reasonably good credit history. It must be at least two years since you discharged any bankruptcies, and you must be making payments on your debts.
- You must have a need for housing because your current housing is unaffordable, unsafe, or overcrowded.
- You must partner with Habitat for Humanity and contribute "sweat equity," helping to build your home as well as other families' homes and attend a minimum of 10 educational workshops. All families must complete a total of 300 "sweat equity" volunteer hours.
At this time, we are not accepting homeownership applications. Please continue to check our website for updates.